Friday, April 22, 2005

Valpo Visit, Part III

On Thursday night, after my reading, I went out to dinner with Professor Byrne, Professor Feaster and Professor Uehling. The little pizza place down near the fraternities (a block away from Sig Tau) is now a nice Mexican Italian restaurant. Of course, I was nervous--I get really jittery around authority figures, for some reason, even if they aren't, technically, in authority over me any longer--plus, I was all keyed up after the reading. So, I know I babbled quite a bit. But it was so much fun!

I discovered that Professor Feaster was responsible for my friend Becky's parents meeting. And because Becky is, in turn, responsible for me meeting my husband (actually, we met and then required additional nudging from her!), we all decided that meant Professor Feaster is actually responsible for my marriage. : ) This silly bit of logic is, in fact, true, in a way. But more important than that, it highlights one of my bigger beliefs about life. Everyone and everything is somehow connected. There are no coincidences. Sometimes things happen and there is no reason for it, at least not one you can see right away. Sometimes you never see the reason, but that doesn't mean it's not there. Anyway, enough with the philosophy... : )

Professor Uehling teased me about always being late to class. It's funny because I don't remember being late to things until I started working. But apparently, tardiness has always been part of who I am! He said that Ayesha, a good friend of mine and fellow English major, and I were always scooting in to class about a minute to a minute and half late. Probably right, though I don't remember it specifically. I love that Professor Uehling remembers it and told me about it.

Professor Byrne told me he remembered where I sat in his short story class. That's funny because I didn't think I made much of an impression in that class at all. I loved it but I was really intimidated about sharing my writing. It's neat to hear that people you respect and admire remember you. Especially when they must meet and see so many other people on a daily basis.

After indulging in a fabulous piece of chocolate cake--the icing was at least an inch thick--I returned to my hotel room. I found some bizarre HBO special with Whoopi Goldberg doing some kind of stand up routine about feminine hygiene products, which kept me entertained until I got sleepy.

Next morning, I got up and headed back over to Huegli to go out to lunch with Professor Uehling. We talked about books and Chicago and all the various former English majors we both knew. It only made me miss Valpo even more. Some of my favorite people live there and I just don't visit often enough. I know it wouldn't be the same to live there now as it was when I was a student, but I'm okay with that. I just have such strong feelings for the town, the university and the people. It's my hometown, as much as anyplace ever was, I guess. My family never lived there, but it's pretty much the longest I've ever lived in one place!

After lunch, we returned to Huegli Hall where I met the Kim Bellware, the arts and entertainment editor for the Torch. Professor Byrne had contacted her to let her know about my visit and she set up an interview. We headed over to the new library where she gave me a tour. The building is gorgeous, you guys. Unbelievable. I feel bad that Moellering library is going to be torn down, but it was so dark and old compared to this new place. (Hey, do you ever wonder if the people who donated money for a building on campus a long time ago (like Moellering) get upset when it's demolished to make way for a new building donated by someone else?)

Kim and I had a very nice chat on the terrace upstairs. It was kind of funny to hear my perspective on writing coming from someone else as she summarized what I said. My favorite moment was, after I explained that I get up in the morning to write so I don't have time or energy to talk myself out of doing it because of self-doubt, when she said something like, "So it's like you have to psych yourself out on writing." She said it much more eloquently than that, but it cracked me up because it's true!!! I do have to psych myself out, all the time, because if I let myself start thinking too much, the paralyzing fear and crippling self-doubt (a paraphrase from The O.C.) start creeping in.

After the interview, I headed home, feeling pretty good, actually. I'd been sort of dreaming of this moment from the time I got the contract from RuneStone, and unlike most of my daydreams, reality turned out to be a pretty close match on this one!

Here's a link to an article about my visit that ran on the VU website, if you want to check it out. It's kind of cool to see my name there!

Oh, I forgot! My book is also on the shelves at the Valpo book center! Woo-hoo, it was so cool to see it there. I would loved to have taken a picture of it but didn't have the camera. I followed author protocol, though, and asked them if I could sign the books and they agreed. So signed copies of my book are now on the shelves and for sale at the Valpo bookstore!!!! Plus, I bought a couple new Valpo sweatshirts, which most of you will probably be seeing over and over again. : )

Have a great weekend, everyone.

4 comments:

Eddie said...

Linky no worky

Eddie said...

It needs to be:
http://www.valpo.edu/news/index.php?action=display&newsid=1912

I thinkj you have an extra http// in there

Eddie said...

try clicking this link.

Stupid Blogger.

Stacey said...

Thanks, Ed! I fixed the link in the body copy as well. : )