Thursday, April 07, 2005

So easily amused...

I work in a large department for my dayjob, but only a few of us sit in a particular area, geographically. One of my teammembers is currently out of state on a project. She had to take a large number of materials with her, and she has since shipped the extras back. So, her cube is now full of unopened boxes. I have not seen this level of interest in anything since the last time someone brought in free doughnuts. I'm NOT kidding. People are stopping by on a regular basis to marvel at the collection of boxes. And then they have to ASK anyone who is nearby, what's going on with these boxes? I feel like I've explained it a million times already--need I say that the cube in question is right next to mine?!? It's funny to listen to other people explain it too. They always say something like, "Well, I heard that it's extra materials from the xyz project." The cube full of boxes has now become urban legend!!!

Next time someone stops by and asks, I'm tempted to charge them an admission fee to view the exhibit. Not much. Just a couple bucks. I figure I rate it as the only docent around to give the "what's going on with these boxes" speech.

I've also considered alternate explanations to the question, "What's going on with these boxes?":
-"Jane" went crazy on eBay. Boy, is she going to be in trouble when she gets back.
-I don't know, but that one seems to be leaking blood.
-"Jane" no longer works here. This is the new storage area. Have you seen her red stapler?*
-What boxes?
-So much for the secret crystal meth lab...
-*rolls eyes* Have you no appreciation for modern art? Clearly, "Jane" is making a statement about the ludicrous command we are all given on a daily basis to think outside the box when, in fact, we live and work inside large boxes. Boxes within another larger box. It's a metaphor for modern life, darling.

*Yes, that was a reference to Milton. If you don't know who that is or if you think I'm referring to Paradise Lost, you are not, nor have you ever been a corporate drone. Lucky you.

2 comments:

Pat Kirby said...

-I don't know, but that one seems to be leaking blood.

Giggle. Tho' the meth lab comment might garner a visit by SWAT and HazMat teams.

The thing (the only thing) I loved about corporate drone/government employee life was that we'd eat anything. I guess it was an excuse to get up and wander around, but leave anything edible in the break room and it would get consumed. A great way to get rid of fruitcake and stale holiday cookies.

For some real amusement, tell coworkers that the piles o'boxes contain dozens of Krispy Kreme doughnuts.

Stacey said...

"Jane" would actually probably get a kick out of it. I did tell her about the interest in the boxes and my plans for charging admission. She thought it quite amusing.

Pat- Your Krispy Kreme idea is a good one. Though, I wouldn't want to be around when they discovered I was fibbing on that one! : )