Friday, April 01, 2005

No joke.

I'm leery of writing anything in here today for fear that people will not take it seriously. Usually, a good bet, most of the time! : ) This made me start wondering about April Fool's Day and its origin. So here's the scoop, in case you're like me and find these little bizarre questions popping into your head all the time.

According to the all-knowing internet, April Fool's Day came about when they changed to the Gregorian calendar in 1582. Previous to that point, the New Year was celebrated on April 1. With the Gregorian calendar, the same one we use now, I think, the New Year is celebrated on January 1. Some people clung stubbornly to the old tradition of starting the new year on April 1 and were teased about it by their more forward-thinking peers. Apparently, that's how April Fool's Day came about.

Here's an article if you want to read more about it. : )

I've never really taken part in April Fool's. First, because I'm not very good at keeping a straight face, which is extremely important in this type of thing. And second, because I don't like to look, well, foolish. I do it well enough on my own, I don't need help from anyone else : )

No comments: