Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Romantic Times, Part 2...

So, after Linnea rescued me from hiding in my hotel room, we went to dinner. At dinner, I met all kinds of cool people! Bonnie Vanak, Nancy Cohen, Sandi (whose last name I can't remember--sorry, Sandi!), Joyce Adams and Wendy Drew. Actually, Wendy and Joyce were sitting at the table behind us, but ended up joining us at our table. That was really neat. To see that everyone is so open and friendly.

After dinner, we went downstairs to check out Promo Alley. On our way back upstairs, I can't remember where we were going at that point, I got my first glimpse of the cover models.

Okay, here's the deal. RT is about 99% women. There are a few male authors and aspiring authors, a few more VERY patient husbands...and the rest are male romance novel cover models. Now, I showed my complete and utter ignorance of this industry because I didn't realize that the men on romance novel covers--except Fabio, of course--were real. I thought they were just drawings from artists who had very good imaginations. But no. Turns out the models pose for photos, and the artist uses the photos to draw from. Duh, makes sense right?

So, let me tell you the other part of this that fell into place for me. That means the men you are seeing on those covers are real. Those pecs, six pack abs and washboard stomachs do exist outside of airbrushing, and I SAW them. Because cover models being...well, cover models, do have a tendency to walk around shirtless.

The one coming down the escalator as we were going up was obviously headed to the Ellora's Cave "What's Your Fantasy?" Ball. He was shirtless, of course, but he wore white wings (think more like an angel than cupid) on his back and brown suede-looking pants.

Now, lest you think I am a bad person, I must remind you that I am a very happily married woman. My reaction to this young man, for they're almost all younger than me, was not lust, as many would accuse. It was complete and utter shock. I looked away immediately, my face about fifteen shades of red. Linnea chuckled at my embarrassment and said, "Welcome to RT."

Later when we went down to the Ellora's Cave party--table favors consisted of condoms made up to look like lollipops, I'll leave you to your thoughts on that one--I found that a whole bunch of people were dressed up like this. Jeez. Anyone else remember that CSI with the plushies and the furries convention? I'm telling you right now, they've got NOTHING on RT. : ) Two Michigan school teachers who happened to be staying at the hotel wandered in at one point and must have wondered exactly what kind of convention this was supposed to be!

But it was a blast. It was at the party that I met Denise Agnew and Rowena Cherry, two more authors and fun people!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any of you logging on here met Stacey? First of all, she's the cutest thing on two feet. Porcelain skin, strawberry blonde hair, twinkling eyes... and man oh man, I thought she was going to keel over when at the Cover Model Pageant the half-clothed guys strode by her (we were right on the aisle, near the stage). Poor thing, I had to fan her several times with my program. *snicker* No really, I did.

Let me insert her that I'm her mother's age. She's now become my 'other daughter'.

She did really well at the con. You should have seen her handing out bookmarks, talking to the readers waiting in Sherrilyn Kenyon's book line (Kenyon, Kelly, Klemstein... the book fair was alphabetical). Sherrilyn's another SUPER gal. I told Sherrilyn to keep an eye on Stacey should she start dancing nekkid on the tables...

Back to the cover models--the guy who won was cute, definitely. You can see him right now at www.suitemag.com . But I thought the taller blonde guy--much more masculine--was better. But that's this old lady's point of view (Jim Fisher, I think he was.) However, yes, our dear Stacey was ogling, open-mouthed. I dare say that may continue at the next one in Daytona. It takes a bit to get used to strolling stud muffins. Tough job, Ms. Klemstein, but someone's gotta do it...

You guys just had to be there (I say 'you guys' since she's already warned you about my New Joisey accent). ;-)

Hopefully, Stacey and her darling huz will visit me in Florida in a few months. Poor dears. They'll never be the same... ~Linnea

Stacey said...

Ha! Linnea, you crack me up. By the way, in telling tales of my conversion from Fuzzy Navels to Nutty Irishmen, Stacy G., a good friend of mine, asked with a straight face, "What about a Nutty Irishman with a Fuzzy Navel?" Hee, hee. An Irish guy with a rather fuzzy midsection and a really wacky sense of humor--that might be a good combination!!! : )

Anonymous said...

Stace--

Fuzzy Navel & a NI? I suppose that's a better combo than a Nutty Irishman with a Screwdriver : ) Or a Zombie with a Screwdriver for that matter -- now that would be bad news!

I'm a dork. I know this.

Stac (a.k.a. Stacy G.)