Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Veronica Mars and more Star Wars stuff

Okay, I just want to go on record and say...I KNEW IT. I knew who killed Lilly Kane on the show Veronica Mars. I kept forgetting to write it down here, but I did mention it to Susan, my sister, so she can vouch that I had it right ahead of time. This does not speak to my deductive skills as much as it does to the quality of the show. The clues, tricky and subtle, were there, but the only reason I figured out was because I thought about it from a writing perspective--like if I were the one writing the show (hello, dream job!?!). Who had motivation to kill her? Who had opportunity? Who were the obvious red-herring suspects? Oh, it was so much fun. That's one of the things I love about writing mysteries! The end, if you do it correctly, seems so natural and right to the reader but only because there's all this subtle background, sneaky stuff going on. They're giving you clues and most of the time, we don't even realize it. LOVE that.

(Speaking of mysteries, I'm rewriting the first three chapters of Bitter Pill. Nearly done with it. Just a little stuck on one important scene. )

I'm a little worried, though. Good shows often have a lackluster second season. Though, Buffy seemed to do all right. I just can't imagine what the central mystery will be next year that has as much personal impact as finding out who murdered your best friend. Those of you who've not seen this show yet, but love the snappy writing of Buffy, you now have the chance with the season of reruns fast approaching. It's on UPN...at the risk of sounding like a commercial, check your local listings : )

Speaking of fast approaching, one week from tonight at midnight the very first showing of Revenge of the Sith will be playing--tee, hee!!!! I won't be going to that showing because I'm a loser and have a day job. But I know plenty of other people who will be going and I can't wait to hear--in a very generic, non-spoiley way--what you thought. In preparation for this big event, and yes, it is a BIG event, I found this article on MSNBC today. It lists the ten things that this final movie should explain. As I'm sure most of you know, I have some questions that I think should be answered by this final movie. Turns out this guy who wrote the article has the same questions and even more. Very thought-provoking. So, check it out.

No comments: