Monday, June 20, 2005

**IN GOOD COMPANY**

For all the recent graduates out there, or soon to be graduates, all bright and shiny with the idea of coming to work for corporate America, I highly recommend watching In Good Company with Dennis Quaid and Topher Grace. It's being added to my list of "Favorite Movies about Work." I wanted to see it in the theater but ran out of time and money. The movie gives, in my mind, a strikingly realistic depiction of what it's like to work in corporate America these days. It's not a sad or depressing movie really (otherwise you KNOW I wouldn't be recommending it) but it gives a heartfelt look at the business of work and why some people do what they do. And there's a moral to the story, all neatly tucked in there and non-anvilish, which I think is at the heart of why so many people are unhappy with their jobs.

Dennis Quaid did a great job, even though it was difficult to see him as old enough to play that role (father of a college-aged daughter). He is one of those men who seems to only get better looking as he gets older. Topher Grace also did a fantastic job as the young up and comer. What I found interesting is that at different times, you're rooting for both of them, even though common sense says they're being pitted against one another and you must choose between them. I will say the ending disappointed me slightly, but not for the reasons you'd expect. After working so hard to establish a realistic view of the working world, the story shifts to a "reward the good guys" strategy. Which so rarely happens in the real corporate America. : ) But it was still worth seeing and owning, in my opinion.

Anybody else out there see this movie? What did you think?

No comments: