Monday, June 06, 2005

Pity party over here!

I'm having one of those days where it feels like the world is working against me. I know. Paranoid much? Or, perhaps, self-centered much? It just feels like I try to make progress on various things but at every turn there's an obstacle...or you know, ten. Normally, I just kind of suck it up and keep going, but right now, it just feels like there are too many things to conquer.

We're trying to reduce our expenses to allow us more flexibility with starting a family and juggling work, particularly as it pertains to my career, at least. That may mean selling the house we just built last year. Honestly, when we first started talking about it, I couldn't imagine finding a house that I'd like as well, let alone better. Well, we did find a house that we like, but now it seems it may need a new roof. So, it may not end up being that much of a cost-saver after all. At least, not at first. Over time, it probably would be. Though, of course, it's older than our current house (almost every house is, as ours is new) so there may be more expenses. But after the other houses I've seen in this price range, which I hated, I'm doubting the chances of finding another one I like as well, faulty roof or no.

So, all of this has to be ironed out. A new roof costs a lot. So, this may not work out. In the meantime, I'm going through all the junk we've accumulated over the last thirty years (thanks to both sets of parents generously bestowing upon us our childhood boxes of "treasures" *grin*) and trying to get everything ready for the possibility of moving into a smaller house. I just want everything to be settled and decided on. I'm not good with change, as most anyone who knows me will tell you. I'm not like my husband who can just kind of let it drift to the back of his mind until a decision needs to be made. For me, anything potentially unsettling (literally, in this case) taints my every thought until it's the only thing I can think about.

I'm so frustrated with Bitter Pill right now too. I've gotten very helpful feedback at various points from both Becky and Stacy G. (Thank you for your help, guys. I really appreciate it!!!), but I'm at a loss as to how get it all into a cohesive form again. I just want it to be done, you know? Probably it should be rewritten from word one, but I can't even face the idea of doing that, as I'm doing that very same thing to another project right now.

Plus, Linnea just did this amazing banner ad for The Silver Spoon for me. It looks great! But I think I need to be able to make it bigger or smaller to fit the particular requirements of various websites, and I have no clue how to do that. And I HATE bugging people for help on stuff like this. I feel like it's something I should know how to do, like using a cell phone or making a blog entry. But I'm so not good with technology stuff. This blog is pretty much the only thing I've done slightly ahead of, or at least even with, the curve. And this is easy...though you wouldn't know it from the number of panicked phone calls I made to Ed in the first few weeks of doing this. Plus, most of these sites want you to use PayPal to pay for ad space. Well, that's fine except PayPal has this stupid money limit on it. I refuse to give them my bank account information--I'm never going to draw money directly from my account so why do they need it?!?--so I'm limited to a certain amount I can spend through them. Which is dumb because it's connected to my credit card, so I think the limit should reflect whether I've paid off what I spent before (which I have.) So, I can't use PayPal unless I give them my bank account numbers--not going to happen--or I register a different credit card with them, which I don't have. ARRRRGGGGH!

I'm going home now. I'm going to eat some dinner, then curl up in bed and read or something. Screw packing up and cleaning the house. I'm taking the night off.

2 comments:

Pat Kirby said...

I need to be able to make it bigger or smaller to fit the particular requirements of various websites, and I have no clue how to do that. And I HATE bugging people for help on stuff like this.

I use Adobe Photoshop to do all my image manipulations. It's really powerful and stuff like resizing is easy. There are like a gazillion online sites that offer tutorials and how-to help. Which is good, because, Adobe is not very intuitive software. It's a little pricey, but if you can swing the purchase, very helpful.

Cheer up. You're a good writer with a strong (writer's) voice. It'll work out. As will the house stuff.

Stacey said...

Thanks, Pat! : ) Just one of those down in the dumps kind of days. But I'm better now...especially with the truck!