Friday, June 17, 2005

The incredible, reappearing author...

I realized last week after I'd already left the land of computers and internet service that I'd forgotten to mention to you that I'd be on vacation for a week. To quote Homer Simpson, "D'oh!"
Sorry about that. I'm back now and feeling relaxed still. I expect that feeling to wear off shortly : )

While on vacation, I read a bunch of books--yea!!! It felt so good to lay around and not have to be anywhere or do anything. I did finish one writing project. I'd originally started a Rennie Harlow short story about her finding Coach Swenson dead, a prequel, I suppose, to the first novel, Bitter Pill. But my short story ended up being about 300 pages long and because I did no plotting (remember, the thing was only supposed to be maybe 50 pages long--but I forgot I can't do short stories), it rambles all over the place and makes virtually no sense. Well, I mean, it makes sense, but it's not pulled together well at all. My original intention with the short story was to post it here as a freebie. But now, it's long and horrible, so I don't know what I'm going to do with it. But at least it's done!

Okay, back to books. Here are a few of the really good ones I've read so far:

A Connecticut Fashionista in King Arthur's Court by Marianne Mancusi. I loved this one because it combined a bunch of my favorite things. Medieval stuff, time travel, and love! Plus, chivalry and really cool clothes. The voice is terrific and Kat, the main character, will make you laugh out loud as she struggles with great panache to survive in a time before she was born and well before the birth of her favorite fashion designers.

Dead as a Doornail, A Southern Vampire Mystery by Charlaine Harris. This series just keeps getting better and better. Sookie, the main character, is so much fun and the practical, down to Earth manner in which she views her supernatural and chaotic world is priceless.

Princess in Training by Meg Cabot. Okay, if you're a regular reader of this blog, you know that Meg is one of my favorite writers. I'm forever sending you guys over to read her blog because she's just so darn funny. Every ounce of that humor is in her books and more. This latest installment of the Princess Diaries series involves Mia's run for Student Council President and the revelation that her college-aged boyfriend wants to have sex with her...someday. Cabot handles this potential sensitive topic (sex, not the student council thing) realistically and smartly. She doesn't do the thing where we all pretend to believe that this college-aged boy is different from all the rest and of course, he doesn't want to have sex! That's what parents would like to read, I'd imagine : ) I think a lot of YA authors feel pressure to write stories this way. Instead, she brings up the topic and shows Michael and Mia handling it in a pretty grown-up way. They talk about it. She doesn't betray realism by having him deny that sex is on his mind, nor does she make it all "after school special" ish by making him pressure Mia when she's not ready or having Mia cave. I just love the way she handled it.

Okay, I don't have any more vacation days planned for awhile so I should be here all next week. Though, I have to admit, disappearing, electronically-speaking, for a week was kind of nice. : )

Have a great weekend!

No comments: