Friday, June 24, 2005

Research question?

One of the things I remember very clearly from high school is that girl fights always seemed to break out right outside the girls' locker room. They also seemed to occur most often during hot weather. Irritable, hormone-filled teenagers crowded into a building without air conditioning. Not really a surprise. My question is this, do think it's more likely that fights would take place at the beginning of the year (late August/early September) or the end of the year? I guess I'm asking as research for the believability factor. I mean, the beginning of the school year is kind of tense because everyone has to settle back into the routine of a new year. And a new class schedule with different people around you is always potential for conflict. On the other hand, the end of the year, kids are just about going nuts to get out for summer. So tempers flare and patience is short.

What do you think? Which part of the year is more angst and tension filled? I know, I ask the strangest questions sometimes : )

2 comments:

Pat Kirby said...

End of the year seems more likely to me. Or at least about a month into the school year. By then all the little irritations and rivalries have had time to develop, people have picked their sides (cliques), etc.

I think even the most jaded kid starts the year with the hope that "this year will be different," so I don't see a lot of stuff going down in the first few weeks.

Stacey said...

Yea! Thanks you guys! I appreciate the help. What you've said confirmed my suspicions, but the reasons you've listed are ones that never even occurred to me. That will help me a lot in creating the setting and the mood : )