Thursday, October 14, 2004

I'm back, part three

Can I just say how much I love bookstores? And I'm saying that as a reader, not a writer (well, okay, both, but I've loved bookstores a lot longer than I've had opportunity to say so and have it miscontrued as major suck uppage, which it isn't). There's just this wonderful feeling when you walk in the door...I imagine it's similar to the start of some big exciting adventure (being a homebody, I actually don't like traveling, so the analogy doesn't really apply to yours truly, but whatever) with old and new friends. The smell of paper, ink, glue and coffee all blending together in this happy mix that never fails to lighten my mood. Bookstores, just like libraries and churches, have a unique smell that I love. Makes me feel safe, happy, anticipatory, all at once. Hee.

Okay, enough of that. The Peoria Borders is a new store (yea, the smell of new construction too, can it get any better?!?), so it was, of course, beautiful on the inside. They'd set up a table right inside the door for me. My mom had come along with me on this one to help me set up (thanks Mom!), but my whole family was to be following shortly. I got all my stuff set up on the table and my mom got me a glass of water from the cafe and then I settled into the huge comfy leather reading chair they'd provided. Wasn't too long before people started approaching. It's interesting how people react to someone behind the table. Some of them aren't sure who you are. Are you a Borders employee? Some random customer who's decided to sit down at the table? A surveyer or some other annoying telemarketer-type personality? An author? People never seem to be quite sure and it shows in the way they either approach or don't approach the table. Some people make quick eye contact and when you try to speak, they look away immediately (they fear I may hand them a survey of some kind). Others in that same situation take it as a cue to approach and say hello. I had some fun learning and experimenting with what approach worked best to get people's attention, but I'll save that for the "lessons learned" part of this blog.

We weren't there very long before a couple approached the table and asked me to sign a book. Cool. But then they threw me for a loop when they told me to sign it for my aunt. I was kind of like, huh? And then I realized that these were people who knew me but I didn't recognize them. Eeesh. I always feel bad in that situation and it happens a lot because of my dad's job (lots of church members, only a few pastor's daughters!). So, in that moment, I'm trying to decide, do I confess that I don't recognize them or do I somehow try to deduce by some mystical means which aunt they're referring to? (I have four, and as it turns out, it was none of them but rather my great-aunt.) Finally, I have to apologize and say that I don't recognize them. They don't seem to be offended, even chuckling a bit. They are friends of my grandparents, used to live next door to them when they wintered in Arizona. And as soon as they said their names, I remembered them -- of course. That's how it always works. : ) (Hi Gene and Hazel, if you're reading this!). Then, another member of my dad's church came by, one of the few that I know by name and face instantly because he was on the call committee that had asked my dad to come to Peoria 11 years ago. I was a senior in high school and used to take phone messages for my dad from him. Feels like so long ago!

But those were the only two I knew. I sold five more after that, bringing it up to a total of 7!!! Woohoo, I beat the average at the Peoria store!!! And it was wonderful having my whole family there, including my husband. I'm so glad they all came.

Okay, so here we go..."Lessons Learned"
1. Even though it feels safer and less vulnerable to be set up in a nook with favored books, it's better for book sales to be near the door or at least, in the main aisle.

2. People do not know that you are the author just because you are sitting at a table of only one book. They think you are a sales person, Borders staff or just some generally weird customer hanging out.

3. If you sit at the table and smile, a few people might approach. If you try to engage them in conversation, more people come over.

4. Based on point above, "Hi" works okay. "Do you like sci-fi?" makes people feel like you're trying to pressure them into a sale. "Do you want to enter to win a t-shirt or mousepad?" works okay, except it doesn't really get them to be interested in your book. "Hi, this is my book, a mix of sci-fi and romance, and I'm here signing today" seems to work the best. Gets across that you are the author (not random weird customer), what your book is about, and why you're telling them about it. Plus it's not a question that they can blow past with a "No." Most people, if they're not interested, just say "Thanks" and keep walking. And those who might not normally be interested in your kind of book might stop to talk just because of the whole writer/author thing.

5. Make sure to have some beverage, water is best for me, available at all times. One, because if you do any talking at all, which you should -- see #4 -- your mouth will get dry. Plus it gives you something to do with your hands if your nervous and it gives you something to do (drink it) when people are reading the back cover or the first couple of pages, so you don't stare at them, trying to gauge their reaction or work too hard at not looking desperate.

6. It helps to have a book signing buddy. Fortunately, I've had great friends and family to come with me and the one time, I didn't, the Borders staff was awesome. But if you're alone, you have no one to watch your stuff (purse, etc.) while you go to the bathroom and no one to help out by grabbing you a water refill if needed. Plus, the whole conversation with someone other than in your head thing is a benefit : )

7. Talking to your book signing buddy is good, but make sure the book signing buddy knows that you can't look too engaged or else people won't stop to talk to you, afraid to interrupt.

8. Write down the names of the staff people who help you so you can write them personalized thank you notes (I'm working on mine still!) It should go without saying but just in case...always be nice to the staff, regardless of how many people stop by or don't stop by your table. They are your best ally in getting people to know about your book.

9. If your book is not stocked, make sure to tell the staff how much the book costs. Otherwise you'll have someone waiting at the cash register while they hunt you down for a price check. (This happened to me repeatedly and I kept forgetting to tell the people at each new Borders -- total duh! on my part)

10. Your mother told you this when you were little and it's still a good piece of advice -- go to the bathroom before your event starts. First, because there's nothing worse than having to cut off a good conversation with someone to dash off to the bathroom. And second, because darn it all, hair gets messed up to resemble bird feathers, food gets stuck in teeth and lipstick ends up halfway to your chin. Not that this happened to me or anything...

Okay, I think I'll save the good review for another entry because this one is already too long. So, stay tuned tomorrow for that bit of excellent news!

Talk to you tomorrow.

No comments: