Saturday, February 12, 2005

All For Love

Normally, I don't blog on Saturdays and Sundays, but I just got back from All For Love and had to tell you what a great event this was!!! So organized, easy and fun! The library even provided us with lunch and snacks -- how cool is that?!?

I got there just a few minutes before ten, as usual, running late. But there was a spot already set up for me, next to the fabulous author, Denise Swanson, who writes the Scumble River mystery series. Denise was so nice and extremely helpful. We chatted about the upcoming Romantic Times conference, and I asked her for her thoughts on Bitter Pill, my chicklit mystery. She gave me some really helpful ideas on how to improve Bitter Pill. Starting with the title, which, while it's a good title, doesn't sound light and friendly, even though the story is. And she's absolutely right : ) We also discussed the length and she said that it sounded like I was missing another subplot was all. And we got to talking about what that subplot might be and that really, really helped me sort things out.

I just have to say that I love being able to talk about writing and get helpful hints from other authors. So often, I feel like I'm flying blind. In other careers, you sometimes get someone older or more experienced than you to help you learn the ropes (Yes, I'm mixing my metaphors, but you get the idea.) In writing, you're sort of on your own unless you happen to find someone or seek them out. And every author I've asked for advice has been so gracious and helpful. *happy sigh* So, thank you, Denise!!!

I bought tickets for the various raffle items, which were amazing. Baskets of books, chocolate, and other theme baskets, like a slumber party for one with pajamas, slippers, etc. Very cool. There was also the chocolate eating contest, which I did not participate in mainly because it was 10:30 in the morning and that seemed a little too early to consume mass amounts of chocolate...even for me.

Alas, I did not win a basket, but in holding tickets for another writer, Denise Fleischer, I did get to go up and claim a prize in her stead. They had Leland Burbank, who's a romance novel cover model running the raffle and handing out the prizes. So that was fun! *grin* Next year, I'm bringing a camera : )

In total, I sold five books (generously donated to All For Love by RuneStone). Which is excellent considering most of the people who came were there for the giant used book sale, where you got to fill a bag with paperbacks for a $1.00! All proceeds from the event will be donated to the American Heart Association.

I also came home with a bag of used books, some good advice for Bitter Pill (soon to be retitled, any suggestions are welcome!), and somewhere between leaving this morning and getting to the library, I worked out, I think, the beginning for First Light (AKA Zara II). Woohoo!!! Talk about a good day! I love this job ; )

No comments: