Wednesday, February 23, 2005

A good day yesterday...

My absence yesterday wasn't exactly planned. The dogs were due for their dental procedures and my husband, who was supposed to take them, ended up with a work conflict. So, I had an unexpected day off yesterday. It was nice : )

I got up at my normal time, put some writing in and then gathered the dogs up and drove--in rush hour, no less--to the vet. Our vet office is pretty far away, but they are so kind and treat our babies so well, it's worth the trip. After dropping them off, I decided to make things right with the DMV folks and update my driver's license with my correct address. Yes, yes, I know you're supposed to do that within ten days of moving. Who has time for that in the first two weeks in a new place?!? I'm still looking for towels and clean sheets, ten days into a move.

So, I brought a book, White Bikini Panties by Kelly James-Enger, with me to the DMV, preparing to settle down and read while I waited. But I didn't even make it through a chapter before my number was called. I was in and out of the DMV in under a half an hour. Yea!

It was bright and sunshiny out, and I got a REALLY good parking place at the DMV, which is in a strip mall. In that same strip mall, there was a Subway. I started to go out to my car to leave to go home, but the Subway looked cheery and clean (the latter being an important qualification in my mind), so I decided instead to take my book in and eat there. Foraging at home for some kind of lunch probably would have resulted in me eating chips and salsa and some oreos. Subway was a lot healthier.

I'd forgotten how much fun eating lunch out by yourself with a book can be. It feels very indulgent : ) I settled into a booth with my veggie sub and book to read and eat for about a half an hour. Hee. It was great to be out and about on a work day with no particular schedule in mind. It caused me to realize something. Most of what I don't like about working has nothing to do with the actual work or the people I work with, it's the lack of choices. You don't get to decided if you'd rather run your errands during the day and work at night. You don't get to decide which projects you take on. Hmmm. A great case for being a freelancer, if I were ever brave enough.

After my delightful lunch at Subway, I headed home where I vegged on the couch for another hour or so, reading in the sunshine. Then my husband came home and made me laugh--something a lot easier to accomplish when I'm having a good day--by telling me that they'd finally put an identifying sign up by the new restaurant they're building a mile or so away from us. I've been muttering darkly under my breath for the last month or so about how it better not be an Applebee's. I hate Applebee's. So, he comes in yesterday and says, "Guess what restaurant is going in by Target?" I look at the glee on his face and know instantly. "Not Applebees!" I wail in mock despair. He laughs and tells me that yes, indeed it is. He checked it specifically for me as he drove by. That's one of the best things about marriage, and some friendships, the memorization of the little bits of information to share with someone we know will appreciate it.

Then we went to go pick up the dogs. The good news there is that Snostorm does NOT have, at this time, degenerative hip disorder, so no x-rays were needed. Yea! On the down side, they want to keep a close on eye on Joe's kidneys, as some of his bloodwork came back unusually high. However, he is very thin, still, and muscular, so the results could just be due to that. But nothing is wrong, they just want to check it again this year sometime.

We picked up Boston Market for dinner on the way home, so we had a good, satisfying meal last night with leftovers for tonight. And Veronica Mars was on last night too! All in all, a very good day : )

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That sounds so fun. I don't know why I never have the guts to go out to lunch by myself! It sounds great.