Thursday, February 17, 2005

More random notes of (possible) interest...

In case you haven't guessed, this random notes theme I've got going is something I pull out when I have only little tidbits of information rather than anything that could fill up an entire blog entry.

-I was really excited to see this article on MSNBC. I immediately pictured an entire underground society on Mars. Wouldn't that be cool?!? But alas, they are speaking of microbial life. Still, microbes are a start, right?

-I'm addicted to this new show on HGTV called Designer Finals. The premise is that they take a student out of design school and give them a real client, a real room and a real budget to work with. Drama ensues when the student typically does something stupid, like not allowing enough time for the work crew to finish or making big design changes without consulting with the client. But honestly, it's so much fun to see someone with such enthusiasm for their profession and so eager to try out their newly honed skills.

-Progress has been made on the synopsis for the sequel to The Silver Spoon -- yea!!!! I'm four pages in, give or take, and I'm working now to connect the new beginning with the part that already exists. It's a pain in the tush because I already know what happens so it's kind of boring to sit down and write it. But it's giving me a chance to see gaps in my subplots that need to be addressed in some way. I'm writing in first-person this time, which helps. When I wrote my first two synopsi (what is the plural of that word anyway?), I didn't know you could do that. So, I wrote the synopsis in third-person even though the book was in first. I've also found a very helpful resource in terms of plot and character development called The Writer's Journey by Christopher Vogler. It's based on some of the mythology writing by Joseph Cambell, which George Lucas used for writing/revising the original Star Wars trilogy. There are worse examples to follow. *grin* The class I'm taking in a couple weeks at UW-Madison is based upon some of these principles. I'm looking forward to learning more.

-I'm going to Valpo in April to speak to a class of creative writing students and English majors!!! Woo-hoo! I'm excited. More details to follow...

-I'm pathetic. I just spent 75 cents to buy a product that I didn't want from the vending machine here at Corporate America, so I could get access to the product behind it. : ) I love those Andy Capp Hot Fries!

No comments: