Friday, February 11, 2005

Details on All For Love, and "Suck a turkey roll"...I mean, some more random thoughts.

-Tomorrow, I'll be at the All for Love charity event at the Schaumburg Library. It's a huge used book sale, and some romance authors, including yours truly, will be there to sign new books. All proceeds from the sale will be donated to the American Heart Association. The sale runs from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Saturday So, stop by...get a good book at a good price. Plus, I heard rumor of some kind of chocolate contest. As in, taste all of this chocolate and win a prize if you can pick out the most expensive one. Now that is my kind of contest!

-Yesterday, I learned the major difference, or at least one of them, between a mystery and a thriller. With a thriller, the villain is a character within the story, as in you know who did the bad stuff, probably before the hero does. The focus of the story is waiting for the hero to figure it out and catch said villain. The villain usually has chapters or scenes from his perspective. With mysteries, we work together with the hero on figuring out who the bad guy is and then catching him or her, which usually happens in relatively short order after the figuring out part. And we don't get any part of the story from the villain's point of view. Hmmm. This makes sense. But I'd never really thought about it before (internet access combined with an overwhelming desire to procrastinate is a wonderful thing, isn't?), and I've read lots of both mysteries and thrillers.

I've always liked mysteries, the whole figuring it out thing appeals to me. Especially because it seems to uphold one of the things I consider to be a universal truth. Just because someone's nice to you doesn't mean they're a good person. If they smile when they give you a piece of cake, that doesn't mean it's not poisoned. In other words, bad guys often look or act normal. Maybe even better than normal. But we, as a society, I think, are trained to believe that ugly means bad on the inside and beautiful means good on the inside. Mysteries wouldn't really exist if people weren't capable of hiding some pretty dark stuff while putting on a good face for the rest of the world to see.

-In Gwen Stefani's new song "What you waiting for?" there's a line that sounds disturbingly like "Suck a turkey roll." And of course, when the song get stuck in my head, as it often does, that's the part I keep hearing. damnit. Let me tell you, you can only sing "suck a turkey roll" under your breath a half a dozen times or so before your co-workers begin looking at you rather strangely.

On that very strange note, I'm signing off for the weekend. My goal is to work through my final plot problems for Zara II this weekend, so I can get that synopsis done! : )

No comments: