Wednesday, March 23, 2005

College fun...

Suzanne McMinn's blog entry ("they keep finding me") today made me think of some of the crazy/stupid things I did in college. By comparison, mine seem rather tame. And don't worry, college friends of mine, I won't mention names...I'll protect the guilty. : ) Mom, Dad, stop reading now *grin*

-I stayed out all night for the first time as a freshman with a boy who was only considering Valpo as a school, a prospective student. We spent the entire time talking at some little diner place near campus. He decided to enroll : )

-Once put off a sociology paper that we were supposed to be working on all semester until the night before it was due. Got it done, and got a B, if I remember correctly.

-Left the country (went to Canada) once for a fraternity formal.

-Got drunk for the first time as a junior (yes, I was a goody two-shoes and slow to rebel) and used the men's bathroom in the fraternity house. No doors on the stalls so my then-boyfriend-now-husband had to stand guard. I accidentally knocked the toilet paper into the toilet (before I went to the bathroom, thank goodness) and when I told my boyfriend/husband, he thought I said I fell into the toilet. So THAT rumor circulated for awhile. What's worse was, in my drunken state, I was worried that the someone would try to flush with the roll of toilet paper in there. So I pulled it out. Yes, I reached my hand into the nasty, nasty frat boy toilet and pulled out the roll by the very tiny edge that remained above water.

-I showered once in that fraternity house. Don't remember why or when. But I vividly remember the mold *shudder*

Wow. Those are pretty lame. I was SUCH a goody two shoes. Most of my other crazy/stupid things involve other people's crazy/stupid actions that I got pulled into vicariously. For example, watching a friend empty a stomach's worth of vodka into a bush outside our dorm (the bush later died, but that could be a coincidence), assuring a friend that I would remember that she'd put her shoes behind the couch for safe keeping, and...oh, wait.

Now, I remember some more stuff. Valpo had/has a really old-fashioned policy about visitation by the opposite sex. Boys weren't allowed to be on the floor before ten a.m. or after midnight on weekdays and before ten a.m. (is that right?) and after two a.m. on weekends. Our senior year, a few of us plotted together and got rooms at the end of the hall near the fire doors so we could *ahem* extend visitation hours to whatever we saw fit. This is back in the day when poor college students didn't have cell phones. So, it was a complex system of the boy calling before he left and the girl keeping an eye out the window, without looking obvious about it, for his car/motorcycle, and then slipping down to the fire door to open it to let him in. All while avoiding R.A. rounds. Hee. Good times : )

What else am I forgetting, you guys? Post a comment. Just keep in mind, my dad occasionally checks this blog, so be circumspect : )

No comments: