Friday, March 18, 2005

I did it! Now, I'm nervous...

I turned my synopsis for book II over to Stacy G, who graciously agreed to read it even though it's totally going to spoil the ending for the book. Or maybe not. I haven't quite decided yet on one major key factor. But the bones of the story are there and that's what synopsis is for. To tell you what happens to who, where and when without a whole lot more detail than that. There might also be some why in there too.

If any of my other first readers (Beck, Deb, Ed, Julie), wonderful people that you are, want to read the synopsis, just let me know. The only reason I didn't offer it up is that, again, it will spoil the reading of the actual book. 14 single spaced pages and you'll know the whole story that'll take nearly 300 pages to tell. And, surprise, surprise, I'll be asking you to read the 300 pager as well. I feel bad even asking anyone to read the synopsis because of that--I hate knowing the end of a book before I read it--but I'm desperate to make sure that it makes sense before sending it off. I'm grateful to Stacy G. for agreeing, and I know she will, as usual, do a fabulous job of helping me find all the things that need to be fixed to make it a better story.

Which brings me to my point -- it's downright terrifying to write a second book in a series. I had no freaking idea. I thought, what fun! I love these characters and I could have such a good time with trying new things...But nooooo! It's not like that at all. Suddenly there are expectations. Not just about the quality of the writing, which I get, but what should happen in the story and what shouldn't. With a second book in a series, there's something to compare it against...the first one! And you have good reviews that say stuff like, "If Klemstein can continue in this manner, it should be a fun series." Aaaaaackk!!! Do you know what kind of pressure resides in that statement?!?

Thing is, when I wrote the first book, I set out just to entertain myself. In the first draft I knew someone was trying to kill Zara. I had no idea why. Not the foggiest reason. In fact, in the first draft, Zara would ask Caelan and he'd refuse to tell her. Zara and I were both frustrated because neither of us knew.

With the second book, it's like I know too much. At this point, I know more about the Observers and their purpose here than Zara does. So, first, it's hard not to let that knowledge come through when she's not supposed to know it yet, and second, it's hard to decide how much should be revealed and when.

I like the second book. At least, the synopsis for it. The book in my head, the book it will become. It's got a lot more action in it, I think, and it really moves people along the paths they've already chosen, in one way or another. I feel for Zara in her struggles. Actions have consequences would probably be theme for this book. And just the same, lack of action has its own consequence. It's also been fun planting all the seeds of what could be for book three. I've got several ideas already in mind : )

We're also introducing one new character, Ehren, who will be with us into the third book, at least. Ehren plays an important role in this story because I think that who we are, as individuals, can be greatly influenced by what others think of us. If someone expects us to behave badly, it's very easy to slip into that behavior. The converse (is this a real word or just a shoe brand?) can be true as well. Ehren's opinion of Zara, or lack there of, is a factor in her behavior and, I think, her peace of mind.

The one bummer to book two is less Caelan. But it was unfortunately necessary in this book, in order for the journey to continue. By the end of the first book, Zara has reached a plateau in her search for herself. She can pretty much handle whatever comes at her as long as he's by her side. In that sense, she's come to rely on him, perhaps even more than she relies on herself. So, what do we have to do? Shake things up a little.

I'm going to post another entry with the rough blurb for Book II. Remember, all of this can change at any time. Stacy G. I'm sure will have good changes to suggest and, of course, the publisher, if they decide to accept the book, will have their say as well. Not to mention all the first readers! : )

Have a good weekend!

No comments: