Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Day Three of No Television Week...

I meant to update yesterday with news of my progress but the dogs needed to go to the vet for their re-check. Which means I had to drive home from work at the height of rush hour (1 hour and 15 minutes), then to the vet (45 minutes), and finally home again (45 minutes again). Good grief, I spent most of my day in the car yesterday.

Anyway, the no television week has been...interesting. Monday was the most difficult. I was tired and didn't realize how much I counted on coming home and vegging in front of the television for a few hours to recover. But I read instead. Finished another book. That's one thing about this no television week, it could get pretty expensive pretty quickly if I keep reading a book a night. Of course, I'm supposed to be writing at night or at least working something related to writing. That was my whole plan. Get more done with less television. But, unfortunately, I seem to be fried beyond the capacity for thought by the time I get home. However, my creativity seems to be rising as strange little ideas, could-be stories, keep popping into my head. Which is great, I'm writing them down. But I'd like to direct some of that energy toward finishing the ones that are still outstanding (as in not finished, not "of spectactular quality" though one hopes they would be that as well *grin*).

Tonight, though, as part of couple-dom, I'll be watching Lost. Ah, the sacrifices I make...just kidding. Though, I am really excited about it, probably more so than I would normally be.

Oooh, before I forget, during The O.C. tomorrow, they'll be running the trailer for the new Star Wars movie, Revenge of the Sith. I've already seen one trailer online. In fact a friend and I watched three or four times, just trying to see everything. It looks cool. This is the movie I've been waiting for. It was interesting to see all the background stuff on Anakin, but his downfall is really what I want to see -- sounds terrible, doesn't it? But this movie has the possibility of answering all my questions, like, how does Darth Vader know he has a son but not a daughter if they're twins (and, therefore, presumably born at the same time)? Did Obi Wan choose to live Tatooine (spelling?) specifically to watch over Luke? If so, why didn't he seek out Luke when Luke was old enough? Or why not raise Luke himself instead of turning him over to the ill-fated Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru? And how does Padme die? Obviously, she must because Leia says in ROTJ that she's dead. "She died when I was very young." Or something like that. How does Leia have any memories of her mother, as she claims she does in ROTJ, if Vader wasn't even aware of her existence? Hmmm. Many, many ways these can be answered.

Speaking of Star Wars, a funny moment happened yesterday. A friend has recently introduced the first movie (the original) to her son at his request. She only saw the movie once in the theater when it originally came out in the 70's, which just blows my mind that you can only see this movie ONCE. But she found she enjoyed more this time and her son liked it as well. So, because I'm all about spreading the love of sci-fi and Star Wars in particular, I wrote up a list of all the other movies in the series with a line or two about what happens in each so she'll know what order they go in (this is very confusing to most people). I was very careful not to give away the major surprise from Empire Strikes Back. But then, when trying to explain who Padme was and her significance, I blew it. I named the children she will have. Which, in turn, spoils the surprise of the third movie -- the question of who Obi Wan was referring to when he said "there is another."
At least, I think it was Obi Wan.

Anyway, then it turned out she already knew the big secret of Empire Strikes Back (who doesn't...but just in case there is someone who doesn't know, I'm trying to be crafty here) so now she knows everything. But the funniest part is the email I got from her yesterday after she read what I'd sent her yesterday...Don't read this if you don't want to know the second biggest surprise in this series of movies...

"What have I missed all this years? Luke and Leia are related!?"

Then when I called to apologize, she further elaborated saying something to the effect of, "I always thought they kind of had a thing going there."

At which point, I'm forced to tell her that she's not alone. There are a whole bunch of us who shudder every time Luke tells her that she is his sister in ROTJ, as we remember that kiss in Empire Strikes Back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stace:

I'm pretty sure the trailer is on the 3/10 episode of the OC and not this week.

Just an FYI...

Michael