Friday, March 04, 2005

Final summary for No Television week...

Stats for this week:

-2 and 1/2 books read. I'm still in the middle of The Rule of Four, which I'm enjoying, but it's not one you can hurry through. You have to pay attention to all the names and history stuff floating aroud.

-3 hours of television. An hour of the Academy Awards on Sunday, an hour of Lost and an hour of The Apprentice (my husband's doing as The O.C. was a repeat last night)

-More writing work done than would have been done otherwise, but nothing qualitative like a page count or anything. I think some of that's because it's taking me some time to get used to having my evenings free (duh, like they couldn't have been all along) and because most of my new writing is done in the mornings. But I have, as I said, been getting more of the "behind the scenes" type stuff done.

Now, I'm sure you've realized, as I have, that the week of no television isn't technically over until Sunday. But I have the feeling my will power will fade over the weekend. Particularly tonight with Battlestar Galactica and SG-1 on. But I'm going to try to hold out until Sunday. I do need a day to catch up on the shows that have been Tivo'd, like Alias, Joan of Arcadia, Battlestar Galactica, SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis.

But the key for me is eliminating that mindless, slack-jawed watching that pretty much dominated every second I was home. Watching a rerun of Friends that I've seen like eight times or the television version of a movie that I own on DVD, just to have the television on as company or background noise. I do actually feel better, more alert, more rested. Mainly because I'm going to bed earlier instead of trying to watch yet another rerun of Seinfield at 11:00. I don't even really like Seinfield! Not to mention my very bad habit of leaving the television on until I fall asleep and then waking up around 2:00 a.m. to fumble in the dark for the remote to turn it off. Yes, I know...baaaaad!

So, all right. I'm going to make it to Sunday. Then I'll catch up on my favorites, after putting in a bunch of time on my writing stuff, before starting another low-television week. I can't really call it no television as I know I'll be watching Lost and The O.C., if they're not repeats. Speaking of which...repeats in March?!? Are they already trying to gear up for May sweeps? That's a lot time coming...

Have a great weekend everybody!

No comments: