Monday, March 21, 2005

More movie stuff...

It's a Monday, and my brain is tired. So, here is an interesting article on the new Star Wars movie due out in a couple of months. I can't wait : ) The best part is that George Lucas indicates that we will see Luke and Leia as babies in the film. If you know me at all, you know that has been one of my big questions...pretty much since the new films started. So, I'm excited about seeing how that plays out.

Also, this is something kind of fun. I found a book in Target last week on one of my book buying binges. Abby Cooper: Psychic Eye. I would describe it as a paranormal cozy or maybe a paranormal chicklit mystery (could I possibly tack on one more genre?) I picked it up because the psychic element of paranormal has always interested me, and I considered it field research. A new twist to the Rennie Harlow series would land it smack in the middle of paranormal...in a way.

To my surprise, I really, really enjoyed the Abby Cooper: Psychic Eye. Most books with psychics in them are so heavy and kind of depressing. I liked this book, not only because of the humor in it, but also because the author gave me a clear idea of what it would actually be like to have the gift. And not to be always tortured by it and resisting it, which is how most fictional psychics are depicted. Of course, the fact that Ms. Laurie is a psychic herself helps add the verisimilitude that really draws you in. Now, that's what you call a platform! : )

Another strange random fact...right now, I'm re-reading Grimm's Fairy Tales. Geez. Were these always intended for children? Lots of punishments that involve being stuffed in a barrel studded with nails and dragged behind horses. I kid you not. But the most beautiful one always triumphs, though she may be shallow and need a lesson about treating people kindly. The cruel always get their due, in one way or another. It's kind of fun to see such extremes in story telling. If you've never read them, it's worth it. If you haven't read them since you were little, it's definitely worth a second look.

3 comments:

Eddie said...

Actually, no. The Grimm Fiary Tales are actually a compilation of a lot of German Folklore, and those silly Visigoths were always so violent.

Anonymous said...

(I put this on LJ, then thought you might not have seen it)

Dood. I picked up Abby Cooper: Psychic Eye and thought of you and was going to give it to you when I come to Chicagoland in late April!

I should have KNOWN you would find it all your own. Clearly, we have some psychic connection ;-)

Anyway, I'm glad you liked it.

I actually was going to tell you to read it and then ask if you would discuss it with me, because I saw some (what I would call) beginner's mistakes in there, and I wondered if you felt the same way....

- Torapines

Anonymous said...

(my other comment from LJ)

Oh, and I wrote my thesis, of all things, on the use of Good and Evil in children's lit -- I had tons of thoughts on why they were so harsh, and how the stories have changed for 'today's' children...and and and....

Aaaaaaaaaaand, I'll spare you (and all your Loyal Readers) the rest. If you're interested, I'd love to talk about it offline :-)

- Tora