Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Stephen King's Speech

I don't know how many of you heard/read Stephen King's acceptance speech a couple of years ago when he won the National Book Award (NBA). Stephen King is kind of a scary guy. I think it would frighten me to live inside his head. But he's an amazing writer and an undeniable success, even if you don't care for his particular brand of story telling. His book, On Writing, has been a huge help to me, and I encourage all writers to read it, even if you don't like his books. (By the way, Stephen King wrote Shawshank Redemption and The Body, the story on which Stand by Me was based, both excellent stories that I loved and had very little to do with classic horror. Impressive, because it means he can make you think and scare the beeswax out of you.)

Anyway, a fellow author on a loop I belong to sent out the link to his NBA speech. It's a great speech. But more importantly, I've never read a better description of what it feels like to be a writer, just starting out. The doubts, the fears, the frustrations...and the difference just one person can make in the life or death of the dream. And this is from Stephen King, someone who's sold countless books and countless copies of those books.

So, read this because you're a writer or because you know a writer (I know you know at least one). It's one of the most inspiring things I've ever read.

No comments: