Thursday, March 03, 2005

Rewriting advertisements

There's an ad on the radio for the McDonald's filet o' fish sandwich with a little sing song/rap thing going on in it. It's one of their targeted ads so it talks about Chicago. Every time I hear the commercial guy singing/rapping, I want to rewrite the lyrics. Here's how it really is:

I can see my breath
can't feel my toes
winter in Chicago
that's the way it goes

Here's the way I redo it in my head every time I hear it:
I can see my breath
can't feel my toes
winter in Chicago
it really blows.


See, my version has a nice double entendre. We could be talking about the wind, which would be appropriate as we are known as the Windy City and anyone who has ever worked downtown in winter knows how cutting that wind off the lake can be. Or we could be offering an opinion of winter in Chicago. It sucks. Cause it does.

Every notice how people use the words "suck" and "blow" as synonyms (keep your mind out of the gutter!). I mean, like this: "That totally sucks that you got fired, man." "Yeah, it really blows."

"Cool" and "hot" seem to have this same phenomena occuring around them as well, especially lately, thanks to "hot" being the favorite adjective of one hotel heiress. I refuse to mention her name here. There should be at least one place on the web that is a refuge for all those who burned out, don't care now and/or never did.

No comments: